I suppose I should have kicked off this blog with an explanation,
but that white chicken chili was the shit and I really wanted to post
it, so... here you go. Better late than never.
The last couple years have been interesting to say the least. To
kick it off, in 2014 my now-husband and I had separated after four
years together which was devastating but thankfully brief. Then
right as things were getting better, we were in a serious motorcycle
accident that demolished my shoulder, required surgery, and a 2-month
long absence from work. I couldn't move very well on my own and I
was in a sling the whole time, so I survived on a diet of Easy Mac
and Hot Pockets in the room my (now-)husband was renting which was
conveniently right across the street from the hospital which I
frequented in my state of disrepair. Right around the time I was
feeling more or less recovered, we got married at the courthouse and
shortly after, moved back in together - into an awesome studio in
downtown Portland.
The new chapter begins.
I'm a hummingbird when it comes to hobbies – I get
super-hyper-jazzed and throw myself headfirst into them – paper
art, knitting, reupholstery, the list goes on. Then I move on to the
next when I get bored which is astonishingly quickly. At the
beginning of this new chapter, I was freshly due for a new hobby. I
had been eating nothing but microwaved garbage for months and I felt
crappy. How convenient that our studio was located directly above a
Safeway. Cooking it is.
There is a website that I've followed obsessively for the last few
years, Serious Eats. In particular, they have one contributor who is
now a managing editor, J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, who writes passionately
about not only food and cooking, but the science behind it. His
writing and recipes are very fascinating and he finally published a
cookbook last year, The Food Lab. My loving husband Jan had
pre-ordered it for me and all 900+ pages arrived and changed my life.
So there I was - with an amazing cookbook, a kitchen surrounded by
floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking downtown Portland, and an
elevator ride away from a grocery store. I would soon live in my
kitchen.
I started working my way through the cookbook. First, I perfected
all the elements of my absolute favorite dish on the planet Earth –
Eggs Benedict. After like two dozen eggs that died sad deaths, I
could poach like a mo-fo, and still can. I could probably poach a
perfect egg while drunk and half-asleep, so I suppose the deaths of
all of those eggs were not entirely in vain. Then I tackled
Hollandaise sauce, which I had only ever previously prepared from a
cheap packet of dust from the store. When I combined the two for the
first time on top of toasted and buttered English muffins and grilled
ham, it was better than any Benny I'd ever ordered from a restaurant.
And I realized - after eating every bite - that I was not only
satiated, but I felt... accomplished. For $10 worth of ingredients,
I made two servings of restaurant-quality Eggs Benedict which would
typically cost three times that much. Holy shit, I can do this. I
can cook.
I find cooking to be incredibly therapeutic. During a time of
transition in my life, standing in a kitchen full of amazing smells –
THAT I TOTALLY MADE HAPPEN, YO – and then eating a delicious dish
of food that I prepared is unexplainable. Everything involved in
cooking helped heal me better than any surgery ever could – quietly
mincing vegetables, searing meat, stirring eggs into cohesive
perfection, bringing it all together... there's so much more to it
than that, but every step of the way brings my anxiety down and my
happiness up. It's like magic.
I now overlook a burgeoning garden and coop full of 6 happy hens
while I cook in my kitchen, as opposed to the beautiful Portland
downtown skyline I enjoyed last year. I tend to prefer the former,
in all honesty – knowing that all of the plants I'm babysitting
will one day end up on my plate is pretty satisfying.
So I suppose I will finally get to the point – why I'm doing
this. Much like Julie & Julia – one of my favorite movies –
I am going to cook every recipe and technique in The Food Lab. As a
hobby hummingbird, I need something to keep me focused. That
cookbook is just the thing.
I hope you'll join me on this journey as I make my way through 900
pages of cooking. We all need something or someone to keep us
centered, because sometimes life feels like you're stuck in a
centrifuge. I've found the one thing that centers me amidst all the
chaos, much like a poached egg when it finally settles into a
cohesive package at the bottom of the pan after flying around like a
lunatic in the boiling water.
Let's do this. Bon appetit.
Thanks for the email link. :-) Master Chef?
ReplyDelete