You might have noticed I haven't posted recently – or perhaps
you didn't and I'm flattering myself. It's been a crazy few weeks,
and my usual therapist (my cookbook) gathered dust.
First, my grandmother Ruthie passed away – and while not
unexpected it was hard to swallow as she was a true gem and taught me
much of what I know about being a take-no-bullshit Lady, and her
sense of style and design forever altered the course of my life and I
will miss her forever. Work was tumultuous, my husband was in a
motorcycle accident and badly injured his shoulder which will require
surgery next week, I got other news that I'll keep to myself (no I'm
not pregnant nor do I want to be, I hate that I have to say that so
often). My head has been spinning, and while cooking usually calms
me, recently it's felt like a burden. I just want to burrito myself
into my fuzziest blanket and sleep all the time. I've been having
migraines and just really feeling like shit.
This weekend was looking up – I finally had some vegetables to
harvest from my garden!! Rejoice after months of coddling seedlings
and threatening murder upon my cats who love to take dirt baths in my
plots. Of course because I'm always striving for homeostasis, this
exciting news necessarily required something shitty to counteract it.
First, I cut my finger badly while walking back from my garden
after grabbing some mature cucumbers and zucchinis. I don't know
what it is about fingers but they bleed like faucets which I know
because my fancy German knives are trying to win me a Darwin Award.
This is my third bad cut this year.
Second, and this one hurts more than my finger, Hornswaggle
disappeared. We had built her an outdoor enclosure and drilled on a
lip around the perimeter to ensure she couldn't climb out. One of
our cats had taken a liking to sitting on that lip, and wore it down
to the point it was basically an escape ramp for my tortoise. I
spent hours, literally, combing our enormous yard and walking the
neighborhood. Under the deck, under every bush, in every corner, I
searched obsessively. After spending the last 8 years trying to
escape to Mars, she was gone. She is gone. My heart is broken.
Pets give us affection and love and make us feel useful when we
feed them, but they also provide continuity to our lives.
Hornswaggle was the single thread that has followed me through every
bump and turn and change over almost the last decade. Her sole
mission in life was to not be contained – no matter how vast and
luxurious her enclosure was. I have to respect her for that, but I
will miss her forever. My little homie, the only source of
consistency through almost my entire adulthood. You might laugh
because she's “just a turtle”, but she was MY turtle. I miss
her.
So after a tumultuous few weeks, I really wanted to cook something
to distract myself. I wanted comfort food. I wanted the one thing I
crave when I'm sick, mad, happy, hungover, injured, mourning, or
having a religious experience.
I wanted a goddamn Egg McMuffin.
I toasted the English muffins in a cast iron pan with butter, then
crisped the Canadian bacon in the same butter. I cooked the egg in a
perfect little egg pan that I impulsively bought during an Amazon
spree which I still do not regret. After adding a slice of Kraft
American cheese, it all came together..
I could have gone to a fine French cafe and ordered a croissant,
or Eggs Benedict, or a beautifully constructed omelet. That trashy,
cheap Tinkerbell of my soul however, insisted on an Egg McMuffin. And
I needed to make it myself.a
Loss is a difficult thing. Something that was always there all of
a sudden, just... isn't. I think during those times we turn to the
things that ARE still there. Our creature comforts. They provide
the continuity that we lose when we lose those we love.
So tonight, I went through an obscene amount of effort to make
something I could have bought for a dollar. It was not the time to
take the easy route. I made myself an Egg McMuffin, and I cried.
Just got really ugly with it and mowed through that McMuffin like it
was my last meal. And it felt really good. I felt better.
Sometimes life sucks. Seek out those things that make you wiggle
in your seat, even if they're sinful or high-calorie or verboten.
Sometimes you just need to cry over an Egg McMuffin. And that's
okay.



No comments:
Post a Comment